Skip to main content

The fire that burned our hearts



 

‘Please help him…help him out!’

To date these words still ring in my ear.

 

‘That food is not going to cook itself!’ My mum shouted out to any one of her child who was within earshot. The trick was always to hope you were the only one of your siblings who heard it so that you can tell the others the task was assigned to them under the false pretence that it came directly from mum. My elder sister, Lauren, was the queen bee of doing that!

 

But for today it was a case of all hands-on deck situation in the kitchen. Visiting that day were our godmother, mom’s friend, our maternal Aunties and Lauren’s friend. It was going to be ladies' night and we always aimed to impress with our prowess in cooking. With my sisters Lauren and Paula we each automatically took the role of our speciality in the kitchen. Lauren was the meat queen, Paula was the pastry queen and I was the worldwide exquisite cuisine, of which for that day I was making Indian naans and baked potatoes. With the right song on, cooking started, and blasting the speakers was Afro-fusion music. I particularly enjoyed the song Location by Burna Boy…singing alongside to only one part of the song that I know :

 

'If you send me the location

Then I'll be right there

Let me come, come check you, my baby

No time, no.'


With all the food cooked, ladies' night was ready to happen! The ladies' night was a prelude to Lauren's‘ Ayie’ ceremony that is customary to our Luo tradition in which my sister’s fiance came together with his family to ask for permission from the womenfolk to marry her. The ceremony was set to happen the following day and we were all excited about it, plus for me, it is one of those few times I make my mum very happy by wearing a dress. My dreadlocks hairstyle took some time for her to understand it is just a hairstyle but not an indication that I have joined the weed-smoking gang. So all set I decided to head out and play basketball with Briana who had come to help us with the preparation for the event.

 

 ‘Lucia is your neighbour burning food in the house?’ Briana asked me in the middle of the game while pointing out the smoke coming out of our neighbours’ house. I looked out to the house and then immediately it hit me that there was too much smoke for just burnt food, so immediately I dropped the ball and rushed into the house and shouted, ‘Nyumba ya Meja iko na moto! (Meja's house is on fire!) .’ We all ran towards Meja's house and started calling out to him and all members of his family. No response!

 

From then on everything happened so fast, Paula threw a stone to break the window, Lauren and I got water from their tanks and we started pouring it into the house. Mum kept calling out to him while also helping to pour water into the house. ‘Tafadhali mtusaidie, msisimame tu hapo! (Please help us, don’t just stand there!)’ Lauren shouted out to the group of people who were gathering and just looking without helping. Two men then joined in to help, they started breaking down the door and managed. When the door fell down we had a cry coming out from the house, lying face down was our neighbour Meja’s body, he was writhing in pain, and the other family members didn’t seem to be anywhere in sight. ‘Please help him…help him out!’ Lauren echoed this word out directing it to the men who managed to break the door.

‘His skin is coming out’ said one of the men who tried to drag him out by his foot. By that time someone had already called in the police and when they arrived on site they managed to rush him to the hospital. We then heard he was pronounced dead on arrival having suffered major burns.

 

‘We did all we could to try and save him!’That is what we told ourselves as we went back home saddened by his fate and heartbroken for his family. It was indeed the fire that burned our hearts!


To be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's to say part 1: I can't add any more weight!?

Who's to say? I remember that thought running in my mind throughout that day.   'So this means you have to lose some weight Eat healthy Reduce unhealthy carbohydrates Exercise Am sure if you google you will get more of what needs to be done.'                                                                                     said the Doctor 'Okay okay Kasanda we got this, it doesn't seem hard I mean...it doesn't seem hard...right?   ...my internal monologue as l sat there looking at the Doctor as he tried to explain my scans to me. Radiology is definitely an interesting course! Just from how one would look at an imaging/scan and say enlarged liver for example and all the rest of us see is pure blackness. Kudos to the medics who study for that tirelessly.  Funny thing that am embarrassed to say...i did a unit in Radiology but up to now l don't get how i passed it, and frankly I passed it well with a score of 80%. I guess it was a case of this unit is compuls

THE SOCIETY I LIVE IN

I live in a society whereby the line between normal vs abnormal is completely distorted or otherwise subjective (based on the majority’s judgement). My society has made stating facts such as; I am a virgin, I am celibate till marriage or I don’t drink alcohol to be shunned upon and more often than not it’s taken to be a gesir [1] . The majority are thus taken to be normal but the ones who choose not to conform to societal norms are taken to be abnormal. This is kinda like the way we make a diagnosis of delusional disorder which is characterized by delusions, fixed false beliefs that involve situations that could potentially occur in real life such as being followed or poisoned. These delusions also occur to almost everyone on their day to day basis and they include: Erotomanic delusion-delusion that another person is in love with the individual- how many people have misread signals from a crush or another person that they have feelings for them; Grandiose type- delusion of infla

GMD 2: They met!!

GIRL MEETS BOY CHAPTER 2 'And from the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man, he made a woman and brought her to him.’ Genesis 2:22 ‘It takes two to tango!’ These were the words Kasanda told Siba as she was rejecting his advances. A year later, Siba kept reminding her of this. So how did girl meet boy or what is it more of how they found each other? ‘And Adam said,’ This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh. She shall be called woman because she was taken out of man,’ Genesis 2:23 ‘What’s the deal with him?’ Kasanda asked her friend Aggie while pointing out to the new boy in Med School hostels. He never looked like a medical student with his well tucked flowered shirt, well ironed trousers and a trench coat. His outfits never screamed the word Medical Students. So what kind of outfit made a Medical student? For clinical rotations- a plain shirt (blue/ white) and a trouser; for class, people like Benja would come in with Chelsea footb